Joining other medical malpractice insurers like The Doctors Company, NORCAL Mutual now offers a new, free coverage enhancement that will protect policyholders from information, computer and network risk. Effective Jan. 1, 2011, DataShield™ provides substantial protection from the growing risks associated with information technology and patients’ personal health information. It will be added to the policies of all physician individual and medical group insureds (but not hospitals or those insured under the healthcare facilities policy).
The aggregate limit for a physician with separate limits is $50,000; for an entity with separate limits, $50,000 to $250,000, based on group size. DataShield™ covers costs for:
- Information & network security liability — Protection against claims alleging unauthorized release of personal information, violations of information privacy law, or unauthorized use of/access to your computer system.
- Media liability — Protection against claims arising from material published on a Web site, in ads, etc., including allegations of libel, slander, copyright infringement, or patent violations.
- Regulatory privacy proceedings & regulatory fines & penalties — Coverage for defense of HIPAA violations, state information privacy law violations, etc; and for certain related fines and penalties.
- Customer notification & credit monitoring expenses — Coverage for expenses incurred through information breaches, including costs of notifying affected parties and providing them with credit monitoring services.
- Electronic data recovery & replacement expenses — Coverage for expenses incurred to recover or replace electronic data lost or damaged because of a computer virus, hacking or other system invasion.
Each of the five areas of coverage has its own $50,000 aggregate limit, subject to a $50,000 total aggregate limit.