Client Testimonial: Dr. Hanna, MedSpa Director
Do I Need Medical Malpractice Insurance For my Medical Spa?
A medical spa is a facility that provides non-surgical medical procedures under the supervision of a licensed health care professional. Services combine traditional medicine with spa treatments.
Medspa procedures carry the same risk of litigation as any other medical procedures. Additionally, the general public believes medi-spa treatments are risk-free due to their aesthetic nature and because they are performed in a spa-like setting. Often lawsuits are filed when patients are angered by negative outcomes they believed would not occur during medi-spa procedures. In addition:
- Many physician and RN liability policies will not cover medi-spa procedures
- Defense costs for a malpractice lawsuit easily exceed $25,000
- Medi-spa related verdicts can and have exceeded $1,000,000
- Medical Spa coverage provides protection and peace of mind for owners, practitioners, and medical directors
What does it cover and what does it cost to cover my Medical spa
Annual premium range for medi-spa professional liability coverage varies based on procedures performed (see classification of procedures table below), state in which the medi-spa is located, number of locations, number and type of staff, deductible, and retroactive coverage. Annual premium is generally between $4,000 – $10,000. Coverage for medical directors (no direct patient care) is included in the annual premium. Separate coverage for individual physicians can be obtained for additional premium.
|Examples of Class 1 Procedures||Examples of Class 2 Procedures|
|Botox (and Similar)||Facials|
|Laser Treatments, Fotofacial (and similar)||Massage Treatments|
|Laser hair/tattoo removal||Permanent Makeup|
|Chemical Peels||Non-invasive Skin Treatments|
Class 1 procedures must be performed by an MD/DO, or an RN/NP/PA under the supervision of a physician/medical director.
Class 2 procedures can be performed by aestheticians.
Rules can vary by state, so check with your local medical board to confirm your states ruling on supervision and performance of various procedures by licensed/unlicensed personnel.
Contact us if you have a question about coverage for procedures not listed above.
- Provide resumes and certificates of training on all professionals performing procedures. Staff (other than physicians) should be supervised by a physician who has some experience and training in this field .
- Complete and return informed consent forms
- Completed, signed and dated application/s (to request an application, please click here…)
- Limits: Typical limits of liability are $1m/$3m; excess limits are available
- Deductibles: Minimum deductible is $2,500; higher deductibles may be available
- Separate limit of liability for individual providers may be available. Additional application required.
- Most policies are written on a claims-made basis. Retroactive coverage may be available.
- Coverage terms, conditions and exclusions can vary from one carrier to another. Your Presidio Account Executive will explain coverage differences to help you make an informed decision about your coverage needs.
How can we help?
We understand that medi-spa insurance can be confusing. So, we are here to help you every step of the way. We have helped hundreds of Spa’s find the right coverage for the right price.
- Answer any questions about coverage for various procedures.
- Assist you with completing the application and providing the information required.
- Present your information to various reputable insurers that specialize in medi-spa coverage
- Provide any and all coverage and premium options for your consideration
- Review and explain coverage options and terms
- Assist with financing your coverage, if necessary.
Presidio Insurance has been working with med-spa clients for many years. We understand the issues thay many spas face. Don’t hesitate to contact us about any issues related to your med spa and the professional liability insurance options available.