Whether you’re choosing medical malpractice insurance for the first time or seeking additional coverage for an established practice, selecting the right insurer is one of the most important decisions you’ll make. When your reputation and livelihood are on the line, you need a strong, proactive insurance partner on your side.*
Research your options and ask the right questions to prospective insurance providers:
- Does the insurer offer coverage solutions that meet your needs? It’s important to choose an insurer that knows the business risks in medical practices and offers innovative solutions to protect you from exposures, including:
- Cyberattacks and data breaches
- HIPAA violations
- Medicare reviews
- Does the insurance provider have local expertise? The best carrier will have a combination of national presence and local experts. An insurer that has an established multi-state presence may have a portable policy that will allow you to be covered wherever you practice.
- What additional tools and resources are offered by the insurer? Your coverage should include access to CMEs, online disclosure resources, and health literacy tools, as well as personalized risk management services and patient safety programs.
- If a claim is filed against you, how will the insurer defend you? Few things in a doctor’s professional life generate more stress and disruption than an allegation of medical malpractice. Select the insurance provider that offers the strongest defense and provides you with individual support to help alleviate the stress that accompanies a malpractice claim.
- What is the carrier’s financial strength? Consider evaluating a carrier’s financial strength against its competitors. It’s essential the medical malpractice insurer has sufficient financial resources to pay all current and future claims.
- Does the insurer offer a dividend or loyalty program? Why shouldn’t you be rewarded for keeping claims low and for your loyalty to the insurer? Not all insurance providers offer these plans, so be sure to ask.
- Is the insurer committed to being your strategic partner? A strong, effective business partner will deliver superior level service, help improve safety in your practice environment, and advocate in defense of the practice of good medicine.
We know what keeps you up at night. We advocate to support medical professionals and partner with you to take the complexities out of insurance. Call 1-805-499-7300 or request a quote today.
*Download the 7 Critical Questions Handout created by The Doctors Company.